Deputy Chief Craig McCartt of the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police said in a news conference Friday morning the investigation “is still very much in its infancy,” and there are still questions investigators are working to answer.
Gunfire erupted at the facility not far from the Indianapolis International Airport late Thursday night, when a gunman “got out of his car, and pretty quickly started some random shooting outside the facility,” McCartt said.
“That began in the parking lot,” he said, “and then he did go into the building into the facility for a brief period of time.”
According to McCartt, investigators have heard the shooting lasted just a couple minutes.
Police were called to the facility at about 11 p.m. local time, arriving to what McCartt told CNN was a “very chaotic scene, with victims and witnesses running everywhere.”
By the time officers entered the facility, McCartt said at the news conference, “the situation was over.” The suspect had taken his own life shortly before officers entered, he said. No officer fired their weapon, he told CNN.
“They found several victims injured and several victims deceased as well as the suspect, who was deceased, as well, of an apparent self inflicted gunshot wound,” McCartt said.
The deputy chief added nothing had apparently precipitated the gunfire — no confrontations or disturbances, no arguments. “He just appeared to randomly start shooting.”
Eight people were killed in the shooting, according to police. Four of the victims were found outside the facility and another four were found inside the building, McCartt said.
In a news conference Friday afternoon, McCartt said four victims with injuries consistent with gunshot wounds were taken to local hospitals Thursday night, while a fifth sought treatment in another county. Two additional people were treated for injuries at the scene and were released, McCartt said.
There were at least 100 people in the facility at the time of the shooting, he said. Many were in the middle of a shift change or on their dinner break.
The county coroner’s office has yet to identify any of the victims, according to Alfarena McGinty, the chief deputy coroner at the Marion County Coroner’s Office, who cited the steps and processes necessary to complete a positive ID.
“What we typically have to do is wait until all of the evidence has been collected,” she said at Friday’s news conference. “We are not able to go on the scene yet to confirm any identity.”
“As you all know Indiana is very specific in how positive identification can be done — which is identification by a family member, dental, DNA and fingerprints — and so adhering to all of those measures, we must make sure that people that are identified on the scene are accurately and appropriately positively identified,” McGinty said.
Police identified the suspect on Friday as 19-year-old Brandon Hole.
Hole was a former employee at the facility and had last been employed there in 2020, McCartt said in a news conference Friday afternoon.
“We’ve recently identified him so now the work really begins trying to establish some of that and see if we can figure out some sort of motive in this, but we don’t have that right now,” he said.
Previously, FedEx declined to name the suspect, but spokesperson Jim Masilak confirmed the suspect had previously worked at the facility where the shooting took place.
FBI Special Agent in Charge Paul Keenan said Friday morning the FBI assisted Indianapolis Metro Police Department investigators with a search of the potential suspect’s home.
McCartt said “some other leads” led authorities to the location. “But again, until we make positive identification along with the coroner’s office, we’re not going to identify anybody.”
The gunman had at least one weapon, and McCartt told CNN the suspect was believed to have been carrying “a rifle of some sort” during the shooting.
Asked about a motive, Keenan said, “it would be premature to speculate on that motivation.” But officials believe there is “no further threat,” he said.
The suspect was known to federal and local authorities prior to the attack. A family member of the suspected shooter reached out to authorities warning about the suspect’s potential for violence, according to three law enforcement sources briefed on the matter.
It was not clear when the warning was given, but the outreach was followed up by both local authorities and the FBI, which opened a preliminary investigation into any possible threat, the sources said.
The FBI eventually closed their inquiry after concluding there wasn’t sufficient evidence to continue it, according to the sources.
A spokeswoman for the police department declined to comment.
“Well once we positively identify who he is, we will be able to research further,” spokeswoman Genae Cook said.
CNN’s Jason Hanna, Jason Carroll, Meridith Edwards, Amanda Watts, Alta Spells, Evan Perez and Shimon Prokupecz contributed to this report.